A cool and creamy avocado dressing with tangy buttermilk, fresh cilantro and lime juice along with some spicy jalapeno pepper.
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 small jalapeno*
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 green onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup buttermilk**
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (completely optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- Puree everything in a blender until smooth. Store in fridge and finish within a few days.
* Leave the seeds in for more heat or remove them for less.
** Use more buttermilk to make it thinner or less to make it thicker.
2 1/2 cups corn (fresh, frozen, canned….whatever you prefer, but if you’re using canned corn make sure to drain and rinse it)
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered (about a 1 pound container)
1 green pepper, diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 English cucumber, chopped
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a big bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and stir until everything is mixed well.
- Refrigerate until serving or at least for a half an hour to let the flavors blend.
*6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
*2 medium pears, chopped
*1 cup dried cranberries
*1 cup chopped pecans
*8 slices thick-cut bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
*4 to 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
*Poppy seed Salad Dressing (I like T. Marzetti)
*Balsamic Vinaigrette (I like Newman’s Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette)
*On a large platter, combine the lettuce, pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon and feta cheese. Drizzle generously with poppy seed dressing, followed by some of the balsamic vinaigrette. (I would estimate that I used about a cup of dressing: 70 percent poppy seed dressing and 30 percent balsamic vinaigrette) If you prefer your salad to have more dressing, feel free to experiment with the combination.